Tips on How to Remove Drywall Mould Properly

Posted on August 20, 2012

Here are some tips on how to remove mould properly from Drywall.  Note you really should have a mould and drywall experts remove mould.

We know about that green spots growing on your old sandwich bread, but did you know that you can also get fungi to grow on your drywall? If you see that black stuff growing on your drywall that looks a bit like that green stuff growing on your old or stale bread then you definitely have a big problem. This basically means that your home is providing great conditions for Mould to grow.

Although these things don’t really look harmful, but you have to remember that the black fungus growing on your drywall isn’t only ugly but is also dangerous. All Moulds can be eliminated immediately and are not as harmful as the black Mould. If you suspect that this kind of Mould is lurking and growing on your walls anywhere in your home, it is in your best interest to remove it immediately as drywall Moulds is a very serious matter.

Once you locate where the black Mould is growing and thriving, the first step is to protect yourself. The reason for this is that breathing in this stuff can be poisonous to your body. In fact, black Mould can cause respiratory problems and it can even be as serious as bleeding of the lungs. It can cause headaches, nausea, dizziness and other serious health problems.

Before you start removing drywall Moulds, try to invest in a pair of rubber gloves, eye goggles and good pair of respirator mask (you can grab these at your local hardware store or classifieds site). These things will prevent you from inhaling black Mould.

The next step in getting rid of the black Mould or drywall Mould is to seal off the contaminated room. You don’t want the spores of the fungus to become airborne while you work, which can spread to other rooms. Use a plastic sheet and duct tape to seal off the room you are working in. Also, you have check the surrounding walls, ceiling and floors as it is not uncommon for fungus to spread in nearby areas.

The bad news is that the Mouldy wall cannot be saved. The reason for this is that the material cannot be penetrated below the area surface, which means that the fungus below the surface of the material or the drywall cannot be removed. Disinfecting the area will not work. This basically means that you have to cut the infected area with a utility knife. Once you cut off the infected area, the next step is to dispose of it in a sealed trash bag and remove it from your home.

The next step is to clean the surrounding areas using a product that is designed for Mould removal. Use only a light touch of the product in order to avoid surface damage. You also have to avoid using bleach as it cannot penetrate below the surface of the material.

After disinfecting the material, the next step is to dry the areas thoroughly. If it’s one thing that you don’t want, it’s allowing the Mould to re-grow on wet surfaces.

After you have completely dried the treated material, the next step is to get rid of all traces of the fungus. After that, you can easily patch the surface where you removed a part of the drywall.

You have to keep in mind that if a large area of your drywall is affected by Mould, the best way to get it removed is by hiring a professional and have the entire wall replaced. This may seem like a costly solution but always remember that what’s at stake here is your health.

Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply